Yes, there is an easy way to quickly TEST your QC/ALM SQL-Server (back-end) connectivity.
First, open your Windows Control Panel and Go to the Administrator Tools page
1. Select the ''ODBC Data sources'' tool AND ''ADD'' a datasource.
2. Select SQL Server Driver
3. Fill in the name and description (optional).
4. *** BE CAREFUL HERE *** DO NOT use the pull-down for SERVER, it will take a long time to search for available SQL-Server servers on your network.
5. Just TYPE the server name in the box and then ''Next''.
6. If it gets to the next page, there IS an active SQL-Server on this indicated server. -- The most common way to communicate with QC is via ''SQL-Server-authentication''.
7. Indicate SQL-Server authentication and provide either the ''td'' user name and password, OR the DB Admin (QC-DB-admin) user and password and click ''next''.
8. If the next page appears, your userID and password have been validated.
9. This is an easy way to test your userID's and passwords to confirm they work with SQL-Server.
10. Now, if we check the box for ''change the default database to'' and examine the database list, we should see familiar project names and our Site Admin schema/database.
11. That's it!
We have tested the SQL-Server name, userID and password, AND can see a list of all of the QC-related databases there.
We can now cancel/exit, or save as a ''DSN'' so we can come back to the same ''link'' and test again later.