This can be achieved using the Data Hiding feature of User Group properties. So, please do the following steps:
1. From the ALM Project customization Window, in the left pane, click Groups and Permissions. This will open the Groups and Permissions page.
2. From the user group list, choose the group you want to hide Data from.
3. Click the Data Hiding tab.
4. Select the entity for which you want to hide data. In your case, click Defect. This will show you the current filter set for Defects for the User Groups you have chosen.
5. Click the Set Filter button. This will open the Filter defect dialog box.
6. Set the Defect ID to > 2000 or > 3000 or whatever you are setting your SQ_SEQ_VALUE to.
7. Click OK to close the Filter dialog box. The filters you set are displayed.
8. Click Save to save your changes to the Groups and Permissions page.
Now, whenever a user in the User Group whose Permissions you just changed should only see defects greater than the filter you set on the Defect ID.
I hope this helps.